Saturday, July 2, 2016

Blog 9

1. Thinking about your own literacy development in the past and present, to what extent were (or are) you consciously aware of vocabulary, grammar, and usage (punctuation and other mechanics) when you read and write? 

My vocabulary and grammar and usage was absorbed over time, as I began reading more prolifically at 12 -15 years old.  In reading great literature, and noticing the emotion that this genre of writing stimulated, I tried to copy the writing style to evoke the same emotion in my readers.  When one reads prolifically, the mechanics seem to develop more naturally. Of course, there were English Language classes in high school, about which I remember very little. I must have learned a lot about composition, since answers to our exams questions were always written in the composition style, except for Math. Since I went to high school that valued composition style writing, I think this pattern of writing has stuck. 

2.  By what mechanisms or processes did you (or do you) acquire the language that you use in your academic or professional reading and writing? What about informal, everyday literacy activities that you regularly undertake? 

I am in the process of acquiring new language, attempting to use words like ‘pedagogy’, ‘lexical’, and ‘syntactic’ correctly. If I spent the time to re-read every word in the assigned text, Ferris and Hedgcock, (2014)  I am sure I could improve my language skills for teaching by 20% or more. Language is acquired from one’s environment, so the longer I spend in my teacher development environment, the more precision in language use I will acquire. Informally, I spend time mostly with professionals who are improving their work life, so I use project management and healthcare language genres.  I am not aware of much change in my language, unless I am speaking to persons who speak English as a second language. 

I encourage my students to read daily, as daily reading will have a positive influence on one’s language.  

3.  Considering especially L2 students who are advanced acquirers in academic settings, what is your perception of their need for ongoing language development in a writing or literacy course? How much specific attention do they need to language, and what kinds of attention? 

L2 students who are advanced acquirers in academic settings, still require ongoing language development in writing and literacy. L2 language needs to be woven into the fabric of their lives. The challenge for the adult post-graduate person is that their lives are consumed with family and their L1 community, so that L2 becomes an accessory worn on special occasions.  They have not yet fully mastered syntactic structures nor have they built their repertoire of word choices in Discourse community within which they operate.  Given their limited time, they are at more risk for isolating themselves in the country where English is predominantly spoken.

4. As a current or prospective teacher, how comfortable do you feel with the task of developing the linguistic knowledge of your writing students? What questions or concerns do you have?

The task of developing the linguistic knowledge of my writing students has become more crystallized with the following strategies learned from Ferris and Hedgcock (2014).

  • Categorize errors to prioritize treatment of error patterns.
  • Identify what students know or believe about the writing error.
  • Identify how students monitor their language use when writing or speaking, (a reflective activity,) using a survey chart to elicit answers, as suggested by Ferris and Hedgcock (2014, page 317)
  • Help students analyze texts which they read to look for examples of vocabulary, grammar, or style that exemplifies proper language use, being careful to distinguish between students who are more appreciative of an inductive evaluation, those who are able to figure out which language rules apply, vs. those are appreciative of a deductive evaluation, that is being told which rules are applied.
  • Identify frequently used lexical bundles of phrases, based on genre
  • Examine the student’s morphosyntactic choices with regard to suitability of length and complexity
  • Examine the student’s punctuation choices
  • Examine how the student develops interest in their writing, for the targeted audience 
  • Examine what the writing tasks require of the student, what linguistic structures are encouraged and whether students know the genre and style called for, or how to control their writing for formality or informality of the language (Ferris and Hedgcock 2014, page 320.)
  • Design an integrated series of mini-lessons that will focus on a specific group of students in a particular place and time, based on their needs, recommends Ferris and Hedgcock (2014, page 321.)


Reference 

Ferris, Dana R., Hedgcock, John. (2014) Teaching L2 Composition: Purpose, Process, and Practice. Taylor and Francis. Kindle Edition.

1 comment:

  1. What you said about learning new language right now is so true. I have found the book difficult to read at times because there is so much new terminology. That can be an important factor on how well one does as a student. I went through an education program but I put off most of my education classes until the end. I remember taking 18 hours of nothing but education classes and how I was overwhelmed by all the new education terms.

    ReplyDelete